Serves: 4 – 6
Cooking time: 30 minutes
40g shredded coconut
670g jar morello cherries
200g almond meal
125g cocoa powder
5g baking powder
400ml can coconut milk
100g natural maple syrup
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Put pistachios and coconut on tray, keeping them
separate. Turn oven on to 180C. While it is preheating, toast pistachios and coconut in oven for
5 mins or until golden. Grease a 1.5L (6 cup) baking dish. Drain the cherries in a sieve over a
small saucepan to catch the juice. Set cherries and juice aside separately.
- Put the almond meal, cocoa powder and baking powder in a large bowl and stir well to combine, making sure there are no lumps.
- Put 2 eggs, 270ml of the coconut milk (the remaining coconut milk won’t be used in this dish)
and 2½ tbs of the maple syrup in a separate bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add the egg mixture to the cocoa mixture and stir well to combine. Transfer the batter to the
greased baking dish, then scatter half the cherries across the surface.
- Add the remaining maple syrup, a pinch of salt and the cassia bark stick (reserved from the
recipe bag) to the cherry juice in the saucepan. Bring to the boil, then strain the hot syrup over
the batter. Bake for 35-40 mins until the pudding is just firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 mins before serving.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop the pistachios. Scatter the pudding with the pistachios, coconut and
remaining cherries, then divide among bowls to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Marley Spoon. It features in their winter warmer Slow Cooking Box, available to order until July 9th.
Got a story tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org