Mum's epic $12 teething trick goes viral

Sarah Carty

If you’ve ever suffered sleepless nights because your baby is teething, then this genius hack is for you.

Washington mum Emelia Jackson took to Facebook to share how she soothed her baby son by using just a dummy and her freezer.

“Seriously a life saver for teething mamas,” she captioned the post.

Washington mum Emelia Jackson took to Facebook to share how she soothed her baby son by using just a dummy and her freezer. Photo: Emelia Jackson
Emelia took her son’s Philips Avent Soothie, which costs just $12 at Chemist Warehouse, and put it in the freezer for a while, before taking it out and giving it to her baby. Photo: Emelia Jackson

Emelia took her son’s Philips Avent Soothie, which costs just $12 at Chemist Warehouse, and put it in the freezer for a while, before taking it out and giving it to her baby.

“If your babies are teething, mamas put water in your soothie,and then put it in the freezer for a couple hours,” she wrote online.

“He was so content with his cold binky.”

The post has since been shared over 114,000 times by delighted parents all over the world.

“This is genius,” one person said.

“Worked for a little until the ice fell out! Helpful though,” another person said.

Others voiced their concern on the ice falling out and becoming a choking hazard, while some said that it’s not safe for the baby to be consuming so much water.

“Don’t do it the frozen part that is in pacifier when it starts to throw it pops out and if a baby picks it up they could choke to death,” one woman said.

“Giving a baby younger than 6 months old too much water can interfere with his body's ability to absorb the nutrients in breast milk or formula. It can also cause his tummy to feel full, which curbs his desire to feed,” another person commented.

The post has since been shared over 114,000 times by delighted parents all over the world. Photo: Emelia Jackson
Emelia was adamant that her son wasn’t consuming any of the water. Photo: Emelia Jackson

“In rare cases, a baby who drinks too much water can develop a condition known as water intoxication, which can cause seizures and even a coma. Water intoxication happens when too much water dilutes the concentration of sodium in the body, upsetting the electrolyte balance and causing tissues to swell.”

However, Emelia was adamant that her son wasn’t consuming any of the water.

“Since there are so many people freaking out thinking my little man is drinking the water, I want to show you that there is NO hole in this binky and absolutely NO way for the baby to get the water,” she said.

Got a story tip? Send it to tips@yahoo7.com.au

Want more celebrity, entertainment and lifestyle news? Follow Be on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram