This beautiful and very tasty Risotto is packed with antioxidants from the beetroots. The recipe comes from I Quit Sugar by the talented food and lifestyle photographer - Madeline Lu.
Prep: 20 mins
Cooking: 2 hours
Total: 2 hours 20 mins
- 4 medium (200g) red beetroots with greens, washed.
- 1/3 cup olive oil.
- 1 large 350g) red onion, finely chopped.
- 1 large clove garlic, minced.
- 1 cup Arborio risotto rice.
- 1/2 cup dry white wine.
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock.
- salt and pepper, to season.
- Preheat an oven to 180ºC.
- Remove the green leaves from the beets and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish, put into the oven and roast until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife ( about 1 hour). Once the beets are cooled, peel and cut into 1 cm cubes. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, stir occasionally, until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Then add the rest of the garlic and stir. Add the rice and keep stirring until the rice is transparent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the wine and stir until the liquid is completed absorbed. Add the vegetable stock gradually, stirring constantly. When the liquid is almost absorbed, then add more stock.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the beet greens and stems. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the pan is medium hot, stir in 1/2 tsp of grated garlic and fry until fragrant. Add the beet greens and stems, stir occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When the rice is tender but firm to the bite, after about 15-20 minutes, remove from the heat. Add the beets and stir well until the risotto is pink. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the risotto between 4 bowls or plates and carefully use a fork to place the beet greens on the risotto and serve.