I Quit Sugar have teamed up with Scott Gooding to bring you this dairy-free and gluten-free recipe that is perfect for a winter dinner. Paired with braised cabbage and buttery carrots, this pork belly recipe is divine!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 2 hours
Total:2 hours 20 mins
- 1 pork belly.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds.
- 1/2 nutmeg.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil.
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season.
- 6 multi-coloured carrots.
- 1 sprig of thyme.
- 1/4 cup butter.
- 1/4 white cabbage * finely shredded.
- 1/4 red cabbage * finely shredded.
- 1 cup any type of stock.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 2 cloves.
- 1 star anise.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
- In a pestle n’ mortar smash the cumin and fennel seeds. Transfer to a bowl and combine with the coconut oil and nutmeg. Combine with oil and spices and create a paste.
- Score the pork belly fat diagonally at 2cm intervals. Now score the pork a little deep, cutting through the fat and into portion sizes which will make serving much easier. Rub the spice mix into the score lines and over the pork belly. Throw it in the oven in a baking tray. Cook for 10 mins. Reduce the heat 160 and cook for another 90 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10mins
- In a fry pan heat the butter and thyme for the carrots. Put the carrots into the pan and ensure the carrots are coated in the herb butter. Pop the fry pan (or baking tray) in the oven on 150 for 60 minutes, until soft.
- Combine the stock, olive oil, cloves and star anise in a large saucepan and season. Add the cabbage and pop the heat on high until boiling, reduce the heat and simmer until the cabbage begins to soften. Remove from the heat and drain excess fluid.
- Serve the pork belly with the carrots and braised cabbage. Enjoy!