'Tis the season to barbecue! You can chow down on burgers, ribs, hot dogs and potato salad....or clean up your act and save over 1,400 calories, 98 grams of fat, and 17 teaspoons of sugar. Here's the scoop....
Traditional BBQ feast:
- cheeseburger on white bun
- 1 beef/pork sausage
- large scoop macaroni salad
- handful of barbeque chips
- glass of lemonade
- apple pie a la mode
Total: 2,260 calories, 126 grams of fat, 48 grams saturated fat, and 109 grams sugar. Yikes!
Although it's fine to splurge on occasion, go out of your way to try some of these healthy alternatives at your next summer feast. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Really!
LOSE the high-fat hamburgers...
- Turkey burgers (make with lean ground turkey -- or buy Jenni-O and ShadyBrook Farm ready-made patties)
- Veggie burgers
- Sirloin burgers
- Bison burgers
LOSE the hot dogs and beef or pork sausage...
- Lean poultry sausage (try Casual Gourmet, Hans, Shady Brook Farms or Applegate Farm)
- Soy sausages (try Boca)
LOSE the fatty steaks, ribs, and chicken wings...
- Skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken, fish, or vegetable kabobs
- Fish (wild salmon, halibut, shrimp)
LOSE the calorie-laden side dishes...
- Grilled vegetables (try zucchini, red peppers, and portabella mushrooms)
- Sweet potatoes or white potatoes
- Corn on the cob
With my healthier swaps, check out the savings on calories, fat, and sugar...
Healthier BBQ feast:
- turkey burger with reduced-fat cheese on a whole-wheat bun
- 1 turkey sausage
- grilled veggies (zucchini, portabella mushrooms, red peppers)
- baked sweet potato
- bottled water
- wedge of watermelon
- Italian ice
Total: 800 calories, 28 grams of fat, 5 grams saturated fat, 38 grams sugar