As an obstetrician, I get to hear all sorts of "boy or girl" predictions. Here are some that I've heard:
- If you are really sick, you are carrying a girl because of the extra hormones
- If the hair on your legs is growing faster/thicker than normal, you are having a boy
- If you look pretty in pregnancy, you are having a boy; a girl "steals your looks"
- With a girl your belly is round; with a boy it's pointy
- Girls are carried high and wide, boys are low and in front
- Girls move a lot less than boys ("because they are lazy")
- Girls' heartbeats are faster than boys' (or was that slower?)
- If you climaxed when you conceived you will have a boy (not sure what that might be about!)
- If you crave salty foods, it's a boy; sweets, it's a girl
As far as I know, none of these have been proven true. I think people remember when the predictions turned out to be correct and forget when they were wrong. Just like a pure guess, each of these has a 50-50 chance of being right.
When I was pregnant with my son, I had a dream I was having a girl, and even after I knew it was going to be a boy, the office staff at the pediatrician's office predicted girl. WRONG!
What have you heard? Did it turn out to be true?