He’s just days away from walking his beloved daughter down the aisle in one of the biggest weddings of the century, but Meghan Markle’s father has been now accused of staging photos for the paparazzi.
Thomas Markle, who has lived in Mexico since declaring himself bankrupt, was snapped by photographer Jeff Rayner in Rosarito, browsing the web in an internet café.
The 72-year-old can be seen lingering on photos of his daughter and her husband-to-be, Prince Harry, as well as being fitted up for a suit and later working out in an outdoor gym.
One image even shows him appearing to brush up on his history, while looking through a book called Images of Britain: A Pictorial Journey Through History.
What a relief Thomas Markle was looking at pictures of Meghan when this photographer crept up behind and snapped him. How fortuitous pic.twitter.com/IB7GdDmJED
— Katie Hind (@katiehind) May 9, 2018
However, while many initially might have thought it was sweet the proud dad was getting up to date on the former Suits actress’ upcoming nuptials online, it appears that things may not be as they seem in the snaps.
Despite the photographer telling Be he has ‘no comment’ on the matter, The Mail on Sunday has accused Thomas of setting up the photos.
- Is this the most bizarre Harry and Meghan royal wedding merchandise yet?
- Meghan Markle’s brother begs for invite to royal wedding
They claim CCTV images from the internet café shows Meghan’s dad walking in with Jeff and helping him get the perfect shot.
While it’s believed that the images – which have been distributed to media agencies all over the world – netted up to $180,000, the paper alleges that there is no indication Thomas profited from them.
Indeed, Thomas has stayed quiet on the matter and hasn’t commented on his daughter’s relationship with Prince Harry since they made their union public last year.
Meghan and her father have remained close throughout the years, despite her dad splitting with her mother, Doria Ragland, when she was just six-years-old.
The actress spent a lot of her childhood on set with her dad, who was a lighting director on shows such as Married… with Children and General Hospital.
However, Meghan’s half-sister came out last week to slam the star for allegedly refusing her dad money twice when he went broke.
“He was very clear with her about the fact that he needed some help and by his report, twice she flatly refused,” Samantha said in an interview with Inside Edition.
Clearly still fuming about the alleged rejection, Samantha, who hasn’t been invited to the royal wedding on May 19, went on to claim that their dad has turned to her for finances for the Windsor Castle wedding.
“I live on a lot less than she does and he really had to chew on his pride to call me and ask me for help,” she said.
Despite preparing to walk his daughter down the aisle, Samantha also claimed that Thomas still doesn’t have a ticket to take him from Mexico to London next week, and she believes he’s waiting for ‘some surprise’ appearance from the royal family.
“I think he‘s assuming that there’ll be some surprise, that someone’s going to deliver them or that Harry’s going to pop by in a private jet and pick him up,” she said.
Got a story tip? Send it to email@example.com