Mum's horror after children's toy leaves daughter with chemical burns


A mum has spoken of her horror after her daughter was left with chemical burns when her Soft’n Slo Squishies toy burst while it was in her hands.

Lisa Marie Coyle had to rush her daughter Cara-Rose to hospital on Sunday morning when the nine-year-old started screaming in pain after the toy burst.

The mum-of-four said there was a liquid inside which caused her daughter’s skin to blister and claims doctors said it was the result of a chemical burn, reports Belfast Live.

“We purchased it on Saturday in the Sainsbury’s in Craigavon, she gets something every four weeks for getting her spelling right,” said the mum, from Northern Ireland.

The mum had to rush her daughter Cara-Rose to hospital. Photo: Australscope

“This is the new craze and she had it all day Saturday and my two-year-old as well. I dread to think what could have happened.

“I got up on Sunday morning to her screaming in pain. The purpose of the toy is to squeeze it but it burst and went all round her hand, two fingers on one and one on the other.

“I ran it under cold water but I did not know what it was. Whatever it was stuck to the sink so I rushed her to hospital and they looked at it and said it was a chemical burn and dressed it.”

The toy burst in her daughter’s hands. Photo: Australscope

Lisa Marie said the injuries on her daughter’s fingers then turned to blisters. She is speaking out to warn other parents of the potential dangers.

“This is not a toy we bought off the internet, it was the proper product,” she said.

“I will be contacting Trading Standards to see what can be done and to see if it can be pulled from shelves. I would dread to think that this could happen to another child.”

Lisa Marie said she had reported the matter to management at Sainsbury’s in Craigavon and was told the toy would be removed from shelves.

“I think they are pulling it from all Sainsbury’s stores, they have been very good and the store manager over there showed me they had taken it off shelves,” she said.

The toys are currently available in Target and Big W and online. Photo: Target

“If it had got on her face or in her eyes it would have been so much worse. It seemed quite corrosive and I don’t know what’s in it.

“You buy these toys and you think they will have been extensively tested but you just don’t know.”

A spokesperson for Sainsbury’s said: “We were very concerned to learn of this. We are in contact with the customer and wish her daughter a speedy recovery. We are urgently investigating and have removed this product from sale.”

In Australia the toys are currently available in Target and Big W, as well as through online retailers such as Ebay and Amazon. BelfastLive contacted Orb TM who make the product but had not received a response at the time of going to print.

Got a story tip? Send it to tips@yahoo7.com.au

Want more celebrity, entertainment and lifestyle news? Follow Be on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram.