Prince William and Prince Harry may have given us unprecedented insight into what life was like with Diana as a mother in a recent documentary about her life.
However according to a new report, there were a lot of topics the Princes banned producers from asking them about on camera.
William and Harry spoke candidly about their mother’s death, how they dealt with it and how they keep her memory alive in the ITV documentary - Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy.
But when it came to talking about their stepmother Camilla, her relationship with Prince Charles or their mother’s affair with James Hewitt, the Princes deemed them off-limits.
According to New Idea, Prince Charles was the one who “ordered” his sons not to talk about the divorce between him and Diana and they avoided mentioning Camilla at all costs.
It comes after it was reported that Camilla ‘tormented’ Diana on her wedding day to Charles back in 1981.
Diana explains in one of her tapes – the transcript which was serialised by the Daily Mail – that she was looking out for her rival when she entered St Paul's Cathedral on July 29.
“As I walked up the aisle, I looked for her (Camilla),” she says.
“I know she was there of course. Walking back down the aisle, I spotted her – pale grey, veiled pillbox hat, saw it all, her son, Tom, standing on a chair.
“To this day, you know – vivid memory.”
Camilla would become a constant presence in Diana and Charles’ marriage and they divorced 11 years later.
So it perhaps comes as no surprise that Prince William and Prince Harry didn’t want to speak about Camilla in a documentary on their mother’s life.
It’s also reported that they had no interest in discussing Diana’s affair with James Hewitt, who has been outspoken about the time he spent with Diana.
Last week it was revealed that producers managed to get Prince William and Prince Harry to open up about their mother because of close connections they had made with them in the past.
According to news.com.au, it’s all about the connections the producers have made in the past with the royal family.
Nick Kent, executive producer of the documentary, and director Ashley Gething, were involved in two films about the Queen in the lead up to her 90th birthday last year and gained the trust of the Princes through that.
“We just sat down with them earlier this year and talked about the scope of the film,” Gething told the publication.
“I think initially, Nick and I thought that it would be a film looking really at the princess’ working life and working legacy, but in the course of that conversation with them it became clear they were also happy to make a film that was rather wider and reflected the memories and childhood experiences they’ve had with their mum.
“They were happy to make it a much more personal film.”