Rebel Wilson hits out at 'flippant' Court of Appeal decision

Olivia Morris
Lifestyle & Entertainment Producer

Rebel Wilson has responded to the Court of Appeal’s ruling on her defamation case, after her payout was slashed.

On Thursday, the Hollywood star’s payment was drastically reduced from $4.5 million to $600,000 after Bauer Media appealed against the initial court ruling for Wilson’s defamation case.

Rebel Wilson has responded to the Court of Appeal’s ruling on her defamation case, slashing the payout. Source: Getty

While currently on a film set in Europe, Wilson wasn’t present in court and took to Twitter instead to hit out at the decision.

Calling it “flippant”, the Pitch Perfect star confirmed she will be appealing the decision and questioned whether she should have said that the damages would be given to charity.




Wilson went on to explain she worked “tirelessly day and night to rebuild [her] career” after “maliciously defamatory articles” were printed about her.

“But somehow the Court of Appeal have been absolutely flippant with regards to my economic loss, not to mention my overall hurt and distress at having to stand up to these bullies,” she continued.



“That’s now $4 million less going to less fortunate Australians and leaves a billionaire corporation, proven guilty of malicious defamation, being able to get away with their seriously harmful acts for a very low pay day!” Wilson said.

“Clearly not fair. Come on Australia.”

The actress pictured after the initial ruling in September 2017. Source: Getty

In September last year, Wilson was awarded $4.5 million in damages.

Bauer Media did not appeal the jury’s defamation ruling, but just sought to reduce the damages payment.

Got a story tip? Send it to tips@yahoo7.com.au

Want more celebrity, entertainment and lifestyle news? Follow Be on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram.