- Serves 4
- Preparation time: PT20m
- Cooking time: PT120m
4 medium (200g) red beetroots with greens, washed.
1/3 cup olive oil.
1 large 350g) red onion, finely chopped.
1 large clove garlic, minced.
1 cup Arborio risotto rice.
1/2 cup dry white wine.
4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock.
salt and pepper, to season.
1. Preheat an oven to 180ºC.
2. Remove the green leaves from the beets and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish, put into the oven and roast until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife (about 1 hour). Once the beets are cooled, peel and cut into 1 cm cubes. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, add remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, stir occasionally, until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Then add the rest of the garlic and stir. Add the rice and keep stirring until the rice is transparent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the wine and stir until the liquid is completed absorbed. Add the vegetable stock gradually, stirring constantly. When the liquid is almost absorbed, then add more stock.
4. Meanwhile, roughly chop the beet greens and stems. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the pan is medium hot, stir in 1/2 tsp of grated garlic and fry until fragrant. Add the beet greens and stems, stir occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. When the rice is tender but firm to the bite, after about 15-20 minutes, remove from the heat. Add the beets and stir well until the risotto is pink. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the risotto between 4 bowls or plates and carefully use a fork to place the beet greens on the risotto and serve.