- serves 6
- Preparation time: 20
- Cooking time: 45
- 2kg ripe Roma tomatoes
* 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 large red capsicums
1 large onion, peeled, cut in quarters
6 whole garlic cloves, skins on
1 cup chicken stock
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Cut tomatoes lengthways, place on baking tray and drizzle with 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Sprinkle thyme leaves over tomatoes.
2. Place the whole red capsicums, onion and garlic on the other baking sheet, toss with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Place both trays in oven for 45 min or until tomatoes are very soft and releasing liquid, onion is golden and soft and capsicums are blistered.
3. Allow to cool before removing skins from tomatoes and capsicums. Mix both in a food processor, adding any liquid on the baking sheets. Add onion and flesh squeezed from garlic to the food processor and blend everything to a puree.
4. Place pureed soup into a medium saucepan with the chicken stock. Simmer and reduce slightly. Season to taste before serving with grated parmesan, shredded basil and croutons.