Woman nearly blinded by home hair dye

A 16-year-old girl was nearly blinded and left looking like a ‘frog’ after suffering an allergic reaction to hair dye.

Tylah Durie from Victoria, went through hell after attempting to tint her eyebrows and eyelashes at home without doing a patch test first.

RELATED: 8 fragrances perfect for Valentine's Day
RELATED: Blogger's hilarious fringe fail

She was left with her eyes swollen shut, bulging to the size of balloons, chemical burns on her eyeballs and her eyelashes falling out.

16-year-old Tylah Durie decided to dye her eyebrows and eyelashes herself at home. Photo: Caters News.

Tylah's face developed welts, she claimed she looked like a ‘frog’ and she was barely able open her eyes.

Within hours of applying the dye kit, the teenager was rushed to hospital and warned that if she touches hair dye again in it could ‘kill her’.

“I woke up almost blind because of the reaction, my eyes had blown up like huge balloons, I was crying and screaming,” she said.

“My mum said I looked like a big frog because my eyebrows had folded over and my eyes were horribly swollen.”

Unknown to her Tylah, she had a deadly allergy to one of the chemicals in the dye called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD), which is also found in henna tattoos.

She was left with eyes swollen shut and chemical burns to her eyelids. Photo: Caters News.

Doctors told the teenager that she could have left herself with permanent blindness from the severe allergic reaction and warned her against ever using it again.

“I didn’t realise I was allergic to PPD, I did it to myself, I made a mistake and I’m now trying to protect others,” Tylah said.

“I went through inexplicable pain just by tinting my eyelashes and eyebrows, I’m never using dye on myself ever again."

Tylah now has to regularly see an optometrist to monitor the effects of the damage will have on her and Gina Taro, a PPD allergy specialist, said people need to be aware of PPD in products.

The teenager was told she could have been left permanently blind. Photo: Caters News

“Some people can suffer anaphylactic shock, where you have a small window before your throat closes and you die of suffocation, people have died because of PPD."

Jodie Phillips, spokesperson from Chemcorp Pty Ltd who make the 1,000 Hour product said PPD is a common ingredient in hair dyes and advises everyone to do a patch test before using it.

“The young lady must have had a serve reaction and I do truly hope that she makes a fully recovery," she said.

Want more celebrity, entertainment and lifestyle news? Follow Be on Facebook,Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram

Back To Top