A Melbourne woman who shared her eyebrow tattoo horror story last year is now being sued by the clinic she originally outed.
It was July last year when Amanda Coats, 43, took to Facebook claiming a feathering eyebrow appointment at the Point Cook's Skincare Laser Clinic in Melbourne left her “scarred for life” and with $1,600 in medical bills.
However now the cosmetic tattooist, Batulzii Cleveland, along with the store, have filed a writ in the County Court seeking more than $150,000 in compensation from Amanda.
The business claims it has lost 11 clients as a result of Amanda’s post – at a cost of $5,600 – and the tattooist has been subject to ridicule.
Amanda’s claims and shocking photos went viral but at the time the owner of the clinic Iain Cleveland said the woman was actually “delighted” after her appointment.
He said the clinic didn't hear from her again until two and a half weeks after the appointment, when she forwarded a photo of her infected eyebrow.
“There's no way we could be possibly responsible for the infection at that stage, two and a half weeks after the procedure,” he told the Daily Mail.
“My wife has done over 2,000 of these procedures, and we've never had any issues of infection.
“We've been unable to defend ourselves and we are taking action against Ms Coats for defamation and that's in the process of being issued.”
- Aussie mum claims botched eyebrow tattoos scarred her for life
- The $12 eyebrow product everyone is going crazy for
Single mum Amanda originally claimed the 30-minute eyebrow tattoo procedure saw her skin become painfully red and swollen.
“The next day I woke up and my skin had come off onto the pillow, it was red and swollen. I went to the doctor immediately because of the pain and severe swelling,” she said.
“It felt like something was eating away at my skin, my skin was peeling off. I was in so much pain.”
She wanted to speak out so no one else goes through the 'pain and humiliation' – and urged women to do as much research as possible before any procedure.
Iain Cleveland issued a statement at the time saying the company abides by “strict industry best practice, standards, and regulations."
"At the beginning of the procedure, the client was shown the micro blade and dressing pack contained in a sterilised environment,” he said.
"These packs were opened in front of the client using sterilised gloves that remained in the room the entire procedure. The client left the procedure satisfied.
"Based off feedback from industry experts, SLC believes the adverse reaction was due to an allergy to one of the supplementary products used."
Additional reporting by Caters News
Got a story tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org