- Serves 10
- Preparation time: PT10m
- Cooking time: PT20m
3/4 cups gluten-free plain flour (use spelt flour for a non gluten-free option if you prefer).
1/4 cup cacao powder.
1/2 cup almond meal.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted.
1/3 cup rice malt syrup.
60 g coconut oil.
1/2 cup rice malt syrup.
1/3 cup coconut cream.
1/2 cup fresh pureed strawberries.
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, almond meal and baking soda until well combined. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the coconut oil and rice malt syrup. Add the coconut-syrup mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
4. To make the Strawberry Caramel, place the rice malt syrup in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until thick, around 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully stir in the coconut oil and coconut cream. Set aside to cool completely before stirring in the strawberry puree.
5. Roll 1 tbsp of dough into a ball and create an indent or well with your finger. Spoon 1 tsp of the strawberry caramel into the well and cover with a disk of dough making sure to seal the edges. Repeat with all the cookies and bake for 10 minutes or until slightly soft in the centre. Cool completely before serving.
I Quit Sugar advise eating sweet foods like this one as occasional treats only. Also, encouraging you to cut the sweetener down even more if you can. Read more on this from I Quit Sugar here.