The greatest revolution of our generation is the discovery that human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives. - William James
It's time to get over your (old) self. Here's how:
1. Shift your thinking: Just assume this will work. No, better yet, expect it will work! It's just as easy to assume it will, as it is to assume that it won't - well, that may not be true, since you probably have more evidence to confirm the latter. But you can do it. Use your imagination (go ahead, give it a try); see (in your mind) all of the changes you wish could happen for you. This change business takes effort, and it's as much psychological as it is physical.
2. 15 minutes a day: Truly, if you walk, run, cycle (and do it with a powerful effort) for 15 minutes - today - you will feel the accomplishment, you will have plenty of time to do everything else that seems to get in the way of your workouts, and, your body will change.
3. Just do today: All you need to do is what you have agreed to do today. Please stop thinking about how you will keep this up - just do your workout and eat your meal plan as decided for today.
4. Nip it in the bud: Rather than cutting back on foods that "call to you," cut them out entirely. I can tell you from experience (I am a sugar lover, especially cake, cookies, really all sweets), and when I try to cut back - it doesn't work. When I take it out (for me, one week off sugar today, yeah), I feel great. Now sugar may not be your thing, and I am not saying that I will never eat sugary delicious desserts again, but for today - no sweets for me, thank you.
5. Five Happy Morning Minutes: happiness is all in your head! So, the key to happiness is thinking happy thoughts - period. Most of us know this (I think) but still give so little time to achieving it, well, I guess that's the American way - work hard, make money, find a new diet and wonder why we're not happy. Why not go straight for happy? Just sit quietly for five minutes in the morning thinking only of things that make you feel happy, and your day will be sweeter.