Kevin Spacey's 'misconduct' shut down 1995 film

The role earned him critical acclaim, but it's been revealed Kevin Spacey shut down production for two days while filming The Usual Suspects due to claims of "inappropriate sexual behaviour".

 

Actor Gabriel Byrne, who starred alongside the disgraced 58-year-old in the 1995 Oscar-winning movie told the UK’s Sunday Times that Spacey was accused of sexual misconduct by a younger actor which caused filming to be halted while the claims were investigated.

"I mean, he was kind of a joke in that people would say, 'That’s Kevin' but nobody really understood the depth of his predations," Byrne told the publication. "It was only years later that we began to understand that [filming] was closed down for a particular reason and that was because of inappropriate sexual behaviour by Spacey."

Gabriel Byrne has revealed Kevin Spacey's behaviour shut down movie production in 1995. Source: Getty

Byrne starred alongside Spacey in The Usual Suspects. Source: Gramercy Pictures

The 67-year-old star continued, calling Spacey "a bully" and compared him to disgraced movie producer Harvey Weinstein, adding they both had "that element of absolute abuse of power."

Spacey would go on to win his first Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his role in the movie, which also starred Benicio Del Toro, Kevin Pollack, Stephen Baldwin, Chazz Palminteri and Pete Postlethwaite.

The new claims made by Byrne about Spacey's behaviour come after actor and Broadway star Anthony Rapp came forward claiming Spacey had made sexual advances on him when he was just 14-years-old back in late October.

Rapp, who is now 46-years-old, told Buzzfeed News that Spacey invited him to his New York City apartment party back in 1986, when they were both working in Broadway shows.

Byrne went on to call Spacey a "bully" saying he abused his power. Source: Gramercy Pictures

Spacey would go on to win his first Oscar for Best Supporting Actor at the 1996 awards. Source: Getty

Rapp claims Spacey, who was 26-years-old at the time, drunkenly climbed on top of him in bed and "tried to seduce" him.

Offering a bizarre apology after the Buzzfeed report, Spacey came out as gay, with celebrities and Twitter users slamming the Oscar-winner's statement for trying to “deflect” from the allegations by revealing details about his sexuality.

Spacey was also accused of inappropriate sexual behaviour by Anthony Rapp in October 2016. Source: Getty

In early November it was revealed Spacey was seeking treatment in the same rehab facility as Harvey Weinstein.

Earlier this week Netflix confirmed the sixth and final season of Spacey's hit series House of Cards would resume filming in early 2018 without the Baby Driver actor and will instead focus on Robin Wright’s character Claire Underwood.

Want more celebrity, entertainment and lifestyle news? Follow Be on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram

Back To Top
feedback